A Divine Appointment In A County Jail

by The Gideons International on September 21, 2012

One of the approved areas of placement for Gideon Bibles is jails. Gideons began placing Scriptures in jails and prisons in 1957. Since then, we have received hundreds of testimonies of people who came to faith in our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, as a result of those placements. Here is one testimony we received in recent days from a faithful Gideon whom the Lord used to share God’s Word in a county jail.

testimony pull quote

As the door slammed behind me at the county jail where I minister every Tuesday night to the inmates, the Spirit of God led me to the last person I would normally talk to. As I looked inside the cell there was a huge man standing there. I put my hand through the small opening to shake his hand (praying silently for God not to let him crush my hand).

I asked him if he knew Jesus Christ as his personal Savior. He began to weep and with a quivering voice, he said, “Sir, I want to but don’t know how.”

“I cannot read or write and no one has ever told me about Jesus,” he said. “I’m 43 years old and was born and raised in a small town. I do odd jobs around town, cleaning windows, raking leaves, cutting grass, and such. No one ever invited me to church or talked to me about Jesus.”

I prayed with him and shared the plan of salvation. I gave him a Gideon Bible and asked some of the inmates if they would read to him. I asked him if he was ready to receive Jesus and have a personal relationship with Christ. Again he cried and said, “Yes, now I know how.”

Praise God for leading me to that man. I believe that was a divine appointment. I thank my Savior for allowing me to be a part of that man’s salvation.

Edited by The Gideons International

Kathleen Hays September 21, 2012 at 11:03 am

What a blessing to witness these acts of God on a regular basis. The Word of God is powerful!

Wayne Robbins September 21, 2012 at 11:12 am

PRAISE GOD! PEOPLE JUDGE OTHER PEOPLE AND DO NOT REALIZE EVERYDAY WE PASS LOST SOULS! JESUS CHRIST CAME TO BE LORD AND SAVIOUR OF ALL SOULS. DO NOT PAY ANYONE WITHOUT SHARING JESUS!

Friend of God September 22, 2012 at 2:19 am

Judge not that ye be not judged-Jesus

What a testimony to the grace of the LORD

When we remember that “they that sow in tears, shall reap in joy-for God is on the throne: though you weep till it seems that your heart would break,
they that sow in tears shall reap in joy” like the old song
so clearly and lovingly states!

Luis Enrique Cordones September 23, 2012 at 10:19 pm

De mucha bendición es este blog. Este Dios con ustedes…

Dieudonné Biabak September 24, 2012 at 6:43 am

What a humble brother you are; glory be to Our Lord and Savior, for He has decided to use us in this great adventure of wining souls for him. What grace !

Robert Byumanine September 24, 2012 at 11:50 am

Praise God or that opportunity! God bless you!

elijha opeyemi September 27, 2012 at 5:20 am

thank God 4 his mercy endores 4ever in d life of those believe in his only beghoten son jesus christ he die 4 us on d cross 4 our sins he loves us

Dimas Quintero September 29, 2012 at 8:38 pm

we are going to share this testimony in a church presentation tomorrow morning.thanks for sharing it.

Bernie Morris October 24, 2012 at 12:26 pm

This testimony has inspired me never to take jail mininstry for granted. God brings people to lock up as the ministers of God catch them so they may stop doing evil and seek good. Sharing the gospel with them is their only hope for change and I plan to share this in my church presentations to inspire others to do the same. We have weekly visits to the jail in our camp and thank God for helping us win souls like this.