Testimony: Five Arrest Warrants And God’s Word Catch Up With A Criminal

by The Gideons International on December 4, 2012

For 25 years I spent time in different jails around the Republic of Mexico for stealing, using drugs, etc. I would visit my brother in the U.S. from time to time, and would often be stopped for driving drunk. But I would just return to Mexico without showing up for court.

I lived in Mazatlan at that time and worked as a parasailing instructor on the beach. It was the perfect place to sell drugs, drink, steal, and get involved with lots of different women from all over the world. I did that for many years. I would steal credit cards, airplane tickets, and whatever else I could sell to make extra money, and when the season slowed down in Mazatlan I would return to California to visit my brother. The last time I visited there, the police stopped me–they discovered that there were five warrants out for my arrest.

I went before a judge, and he sentenced me to one year in prison. They put me in a small cell for 30 days, and the only book I had there was the prison rulebook. One afternoon, they took us out of our cells because there was someone who had come to visit all the prisoners. The man who had come to see us had some blue books in his hands and he started talking to us about Jesus. I didn’t pay much attention, but I was happy to get out of the cell and to take one of the books that he offered, which was a copy of God’s Word.

I put the Scripture in my pocket, and when they returned me to my cell, I began reading the Word of God for the first time. That night I prayed, “God if you’re for real, help me stop smoking cigarettes.”

When I awoke the next morning, I could not stand to even smell the smoke. That’s when I knew that God was there and Jesus Christ was real.

I kept reading, and eventually I turned my life over to God. When I got out of prison, I started telling everybody about Jesus. Today, I serve in a local church, and I’m a Gideon, too. Thanks be to God and to The Gideons for that little blue book.

Donald December 4, 2012 at 5:07 pm

Hebrews 4:12 “For the Word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.”

Tom Hardin December 4, 2012 at 9:26 pm

I used this very story when speaking in a church in Mexico while there for a blitz. It had just been published that month in our magazine. It evidently touched some hearts that day for the pastor had an offering taken ( not planned) and gave the local camp 5 names of men he wanted to be asked to join the Gideons. Thanks for God directing me to this story while on the plane there.

Helen Titiriga December 5, 2012 at 12:28 am

Praise God!!!
No matter where we are trying to hide, no matter our plans – God is ALWAYS bigger than anything or anyone’s thoughts!!
I am always so blessed to read all the different ways God finds a lost soul; and once found they always give testimony to the awesome wonder of Him who saved them.
Thank you Gideons and blessings to you all!
Helen Titiriga

Rico Val December 5, 2012 at 7:03 am

Praise God! Hope & pray that God will send more workers to the harvest field… :)

Robert December 17, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Praise God of miracle! God bless you brother!

Pedro Díaz January 11, 2013 at 5:51 pm

I know this Guy in person, he served for more than six years as a gideon, he gave a gideon message at our church and I became a gideon since then. Now he moved with his family to Los Barriles, baja México, he s now working as a full time pastor in a local church. Thank you God for invite me to serve! Thank jesus whom understand our sorrows, happines and joy till you return.

admin January 14, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Praise God!

Danny Fuentes January 15, 2013 at 9:13 am

Praise God almighty!!! Im excited to hea
r how God changes lives, its such a blessing to hear testamonies like this, for they bring hope to my own life ,……. Bless you brother and may our savior Jesus Christ conyinue to bless you and yours ……. :-)….