Letters From Prison

by The Gideons International on December 10, 2014

The Gideons International places over 1,300,000 Scriptures in prisons and detention centers around the world each year. Here are two recent letters from inmates who received Christ through reading the Word of God.

From Drugs To Hope

Dear Gideons,

My name is Shannon, and I am incarcerated in Texas. I’m writing to let you know how The Gideons International is changing my life.

One day I was sitting on my bunk with nothing to do. Looking around the dorm, I saw a book, so I went to pick it up. It was the Holy Bible. I started reading in Proverbs. Another inmate noticed me reading and started talking about how his father had turned his life over to God after many years of drug abuse. I felt a tingle run down my spine and told him I could relate to his father. It was then I began to feel a calling to learn more about what the Bible had to say.

I started going to chapel. During one of the services, I met two Gideons, Doug and Kevin. They have inspired me to read more of the Bible and have taught me how to believe and worship my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Thank you so much for the Bibles placed in my facility and for visiting and sharing God’s Word here since I’ve been incarcerated. I read the Bible every day—one chapter of the New Testament and one chapter of Proverbs. Reading has opened my eyes so much, knowing I don’t have to use drugs to maintain my life anymore. Now that I have found Jesus, I’ve gone from dope to hope. God bless you.

Shannon (Texas)
Edited by The Gideons International

A New Direction For Life

Dear Gideons,

My name is Wesley. I received a Gideon-placed Bible from one of your brothers who volunteers in my jail. I read it every morning and night. It has brought me more wisdom and joy than I ever expected. The words opened my heart to Jesus and I have accepted Him as my Savior.

Now I find direction for my life through Christ. I read in Galatians about dying to myself and my sins so Christ can live through me. I truly believe my flesh died here in this jail and Christ is living in me. In fact, I believe He is calling me to return to school and study Biblical ministries.

You have already given me so much by providing Bibles in my jail. I hope by my faith, I can help others find life in Christ. Thank you for your devotion.

Your brother,

Wesley (Texas)
Edited by The Gideons International

Ancil Jividen December 10, 2014 at 5:37 pm

In my 34 years of Gideon Ministry I have had the privilege of sharing God’s Word in New York City prisons, Connecticut prisons, West Virginia prisons, Republic of China, and Guatemala prisons. My heart and eyes has been opened to the needs throughout the world. I’m grateful for the many opportunities God has given me to share in this Ministry.

Ancil Jividen

Gregorio Francisco December 11, 2014 at 12:02 am

I praise God for saving another soul for Christ. Truly the Word of can change life. Isa 55:11 so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it.
To GOD be the glory..

Audrey Bruner December 11, 2014 at 12:26 am

I am a Gideon involved in the prision ministry at St. Clair Correctional and help Chaplin Miller by providing bibles and study material. It is goood to hear from persons in prison that the Bibles are reaching them in a positive way. May God continue to reach out to more through His Holy Word.

To God Be The Glory!

Robert B. December 14, 2014 at 6:59 am

Thank you Lord God for your mercy shown for our two brothers in jail. God bless you Gideons all around the world. Your work to God is not nothing.

Helen March 12, 2015 at 10:06 am

How precious is the Word of God – there is HOPE for each life situation, HEALING for physical pain and addictions to the mind and body, JOY and STRENGTH and PERSEVERANCE in and through each situation in life BECAUSE YOU are there – with each of us – ALL THE TIME!!! Thank You Jesus, that when we repent Your forgiveness is there for us – ALWAYS – AND YOU remember our iniquities no more – as far as the EAST is from the WEST!!! Thank you, all Gideons, for all these years of bringing the Word of God – enlarging your territories until, by God’s grace, you will go unto all the ends of the earth :) How exciting it must be for you to look back at where you started and how far you have come!!! God bless you, each of you, as you continue to answer His call.
Helen

william jimenez pedroza March 12, 2015 at 11:38 am

Quiero participar en esta gran obra de llevar las sagradas escrituras al mundo, cimpliendo con la gra comision de nuestro Rey y Senor YHESWA anunciando el evangelio del Reino del Eterno. Por favor, diganme como puedo recibir de ustedes las pequenas escrituras para regalarlas en persona a las personas? Gracias por su pronta respuesta

P.S. Govindarajan Iyengar, March 12, 2015 at 11:45 am

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ! I thank my Good Lord for Gideons and their ministry of placing Bibles in, Prisons, Hospitals, Schools, Orphanages, Hotels, etc. I pray that Jesus will touch many many souls in all the above places, through Bibles placed by Gideons! I am sure these gentlemen who have accepted Jesus as their Personal Savior will come out of the jails and stand for Jesus by doing His Service and bringing scores of people into the Kingdom of God. May God be Glorified.

Chaplain Mike Neefe March 12, 2015 at 10:46 pm

Dear Sirs,
I am a Chaplain a Cimarron Correctional Facility in Cushing, Oklahoma. Periodically someone drops blue soft cover Gideon Bibles at our lobby desk. I do not know who provides such a wonderful ministry. I am very grateful. I called a local number to express the need for more Bibles and was told more Bibles were not available. That Gideon NKJB is the most used and cherished Bible on the yard. Is there any possibility to increase the donations to our facility. We house 1650 Offenders. Once again thank you for your ministry. Chaplain Mike Neefe