Testimony: The “Trick” Baby

by The Gideons International on February 22, 2013

At the age of ten, living in the ghetto in Cleveland, Ohio, I held a gun to my head. I was ready to fire a bullet and end my life.

Fortunately for me, the gun had a hidden safety feature that I did not know about. The gun would not fire.

Why would a ten-year-old boy want to die? The age of ten should be filled with dreams of becoming a football player, an astronaut, an explorer or a movie star.

I just wanted to die. But God had another plan.

A Family Comes Unraveled
My grandmother was an immigrant from Germany. And my grandfather was an immigrant from Cuba. It was in Cleveland, Ohio where they met and married. They had three boys and four girls.

Through a series of events, including a fight, my grandfather was convicted of attempted murder and was sentenced to prison. When the story of his crime hit the newspapers, my grandmother lost her job. Being a strong German mother, she began to work odd jobs such as cleaning bathrooms to support her seven children. But soon, she lost her health and was unable to work. She had five operations, which left her maimed and deeply depressed. The family lost everything and was thrown into the streets.

My mother was the oldest of their children. She was stunning in appearance and was often told she looked like Elizabeth Taylor. A pimp in the community heard of her and offered my mother money just to have dinner with his male clients.

Eventually this led to her performing other favors for these clients and at the age of 14, my mother became a professional call girl. Her three brothers had become heroin addicts and joined a gang called, “The Devil’s Disciples.”

With a father in prison, a mother in ailing health and no place to call “home,” the children’s lives were becoming unraveled. They fell prey to prostitution, drugs and violence.

Surviving Despite The Circumstances
At age 16, as a hardened call girl, my mom became pregnant with a baby conceived with one of her “tricks,” as they were called. Her pimp made it clear there was no time to have a baby because it would get in the way of his making money from her.

After several abortion attempts, my mother eventually gave birth. Born prematurely with no pancreas, under-developed lungs and other physical deformities, the baby was not wanted and almost died of pneumonia.

That unwanted baby was me.

When I began school I was diagnosed with learning disabilities. I was a severe stutterer. I often saw my mom beaten by her clients. Many times they would beat me, as well.

By the age of ten I wanted to die.

Tragedy Turns Into Triumph
In 1973 my life changed when my fourth grade teacher, Mrs. Spears, volunteered to be my speech coach. She was a kind Christian lady who had no children. She gave me a Bible. As part of my speech therapy, I would read the Bible aloud into a tape recorder. I have since learned that this Bible was a Hotel Bible that had been placed by The Gideons International.

Until then, I had never held a Bible in my hand.

I read this Bible every day for a full year. I read about a stutterer named Moses whom God used to bring people out of bondage. I read about a young shepherd boy who beat Goliath with a slingshot and a stone.

I began to understand from the reading of my Gideon Bible that God uses those who have been wounded very deeply. I began to understand that life can be a mess, but with His help it can become a message.

I became a scholar, student body president and a young pastor. With that same Gideon Bible, I preached messages of hope and healing that led my mother, sister, grandmother, grandfather and other relatives to Christ through my church.

Bishop Ron Archer Gideon Testimony

Bishop Ron Archer

Today with that same Gideon Bible, the Lord has helped me plant churches, preach revivals, author five books, host TV programs, advise world leaders and lead peace-keeping efforts in Africa and India. Hundreds of thousands have heard the gospel message because of that one Bible.

May God bless The Gideons International through the continued placement of His Word.

Yes I was born a “trick baby.” But through that one Gideon Bible, the real trick was on the devil.

Bishop Ron Archer
Edited by The Gideons International

RICHARD February 22, 2013 at 11:46 am

What a wonderful testimony, God is good and in face of all odds against this soul he had a different plan. This testimony has been around for quite a while and we just now get the blessing of seeing what God has done.
The reason we as Gideons do what we do, make the sacrifices that we make and pray for the spirit to use this wonderful tool that we have.

Praise His Name Forever.
Dick Dennis

Frank Rudd February 22, 2013 at 11:53 am

Oh wow. What an awesome testimony. I’m overwhelmed by this young man’s strength and how God has used him.

David James February 22, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Wow! What a great God we serve as Gideons!
All praise & glory to Him.

Fernando February 22, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Praise the Lord!!!!!

Mary Ann Winnyk February 22, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Awe inspiring testimony for pro life. God is showing us here that EVERY life is important, even the lowly. How ONE life can change the world. Thank You for sharing Bishop Archer.

Helen Titiriga February 23, 2013 at 2:57 am

Once again we are shown that we can KNOW and BELIEVE in this AWESOME GOD: He’ll always be the same, always dependable to finish the plan He made for each and every one of us before the world was created!!! All of us, from the day we became believers in the Lord Jesus Christ, are able to look back and see the works of the Holy Spirit in our lives even before that glorious day of our salvation, even before we could see and hear Him, even before He touched our hearts of stone and gave us a new heart, He was there all the time, drawing us every so gently by His overwhelming love for us!
I am so blessed to have read about all the miracles that happened in the lives of this family, and I’m sure are going to continue to happen just by it being passed around and around!
Thank you, thank you, thank you Gideons!! You were and are a part of God’s plan – as a whole and each individual of this wonderful Christian organization that keeps continuing to bring the Good News of Jesus Christ, as Savior and Lord of all to all who will hear and believe.
Blessings, wisdom and perseverance to keep on keeping on in the mighty name of Jesus Christ.
Helen Titiriga

Shirley Hodges February 23, 2013 at 5:58 am

This testimony brings tears to my eyes. For God uses the weak of this world to be His strength. Praise the Lord.

Tom Walther February 23, 2013 at 8:20 am

Amazing story of how God loves each of us regardless of our circumstances.

Arlen Brooks February 26, 2013 at 11:12 am

Praise the Lord for this great testimony. This is a great work of our LORD.
It goes to show all -That the word will never return void to those who put their trust in Him. I pray that those in our nation and the world who know the Lord will become “Noahs-and help get the WORD out to those who are in the dark.

Robert February 26, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Dieu soit loué pour un si grand témoignage de délivrance et de transformation! Merci Mon Dieu parce que Tu te sers toujours de choses sans valeur afin de manifester Ta gloire. Merci Ron de nous partager ce témoignage. Dieu bénisse les Gedéons pour son Oeuvre!

Jim Vanderkolk April 29, 2013 at 6:46 pm

This is why we do what we do. Thank you for your testimony.

Wesley August 29, 2013 at 10:24 am

I have been a Gideon in Sri Lanka where I have distributed thousands of NTs there with fellow Gideons. What a joy that has been.

Wayne Robbins December 31, 2013 at 10:50 pm

Thank GOD for allowing us to distribute your precious holy word! Jesus is our Lord and Saviour!

Laraine Zady July 26, 2014 at 4:54 pm

After hearing you speak in Philadelphia at the Gideon’s international convention I was moved to tears. It also moved me to pass out more bibles and work harder. If you hadn’t received the Gideon bible I shudder to think where life would have taken you. Glory to God.

michael August 24, 2014 at 10:51 am

Thank u Dr. Ron archer for this testimony. May God richly bless you as you touch many lives around the world.

robert September 4, 2014 at 2:36 pm

Thanks for good testimony’I am in Kenya.can you make a trip to eldoret advice

Mark Ryan Wanjagi September 5, 2014 at 12:39 am

Wow thats a life-changing motivational story.am a motivational speaker in kenya.thats a story every young and old person should hear.I thank God for such an opportunity to hear His servant on a live show with Jkl on ktn kenya.praise n glory to Him

mary chege September 27, 2014 at 11:09 pm

Your testimony is very moving. Encouraging to serve God despite and inspite.

Keith Hammond October 21, 2014 at 5:26 pm

We saw Bishop Archer’s testimony last night at our Baptist Brotherhood Men’s night last night. What a powerful message! May God continue to bless you, Bishop and thank you!

Mary Wairimu November 3, 2014 at 5:12 am

Wow, what a wonderful manifestation of what God can do. Going thru hell and back and now the Worlds best motivational speaker, a Gospel preacher, a role model….. name it. God has used you and He will continue using you to reach out to the hopeless people, those who think life has come to an end and all they wish for is for hell to break loose and swallow them. You are indeed a blessing and may the good Lord uplift you to the highest level and fulfill all your desires.
I can never get tired of reading your story. It uplifts me when am weary. God bless you

sara January 26, 2015 at 6:20 pm

Wow! God is Great and worthy to be praised!!! I am crying and crying ……what a mighty God we serve!!! Bless you and your ministry!!!

Emilia Ejiofor February 1, 2015 at 10:16 am

God indeed can do all things. One can face death n still tell death, you can’t take me. Big lesson for the hopeless.

Johnsy John February 9, 2015 at 1:17 pm

I am blessed. Really blessed.

Betty Gilland February 22, 2015 at 2:00 pm

Awesome testimony. GOD IS VICTOROUS IN SPITE OF THE ENEMY. PTL

virginia King March 11, 2015 at 3:58 pm

Powerful, Could it be that the next time you are in Cleveland, come by Lee Memorial African Methodist Episcopal Church? This is my personal invitation to you, a person with the Gideon Church, here at my building, introduced me to your testimony. Humbly Virginia.

Debra Person March 14, 2015 at 10:25 am

We need you to come to Syracuse, NY and speak your message is very powerful, it would truly give inspiration to the women in my ministry who have suffered much hurt and pain in their lives, please visit the website, and/or contact me on my personal phone-315-450-0242 God Bless you.

Deb March 14, 2015 at 7:44 pm

Thank you for sharing and blessing me and my family with your testimony

Leafa March 15, 2015 at 2:28 pm

Powerful testimony becomes even more so when you LISTEN to him.

DR.R.S.MWEEMBA March 19, 2015 at 4:37 am

Bishop Ron Archer,

I AM ENCOURAGING TO WORK HARD AS BISHOP BECAUSE I CAN TELL THAT WAS THE REASON WHY SAVED YOU FROM BEEN UNWANTED BIBLY.
LOOK AT JOSEPH ,WAS UNWANTED BROTHER.BUT THE SAME UNWANTED SAVED THEM HUNGER.

I WOULD LIKE TO READ SOME THE BOOKS THAT YOU PUBLISHED.

EVANGELIST DR.R.S.MWEEMBA

Mary March 21, 2015 at 4:51 am

God bless you

Venetta March 21, 2015 at 3:36 pm

You have lift me up daily

Ashabi Elvis March 26, 2015 at 12:37 pm

The God of Israel shall never fail us. I thank God for the life of Bishop Ron Archer. May God bbless you the more and empower you to preach the Good News of Salvation to all nations

charmaine March 31, 2015 at 7:22 am

I was so inspired uplifted encouraged by your testimony. So powerful. God bless you richly.

Jones April 1, 2015 at 9:29 am

What a powerful testimony that none of us is born a mistake.Romans8:28
God bless you.

Maryruth Eaves-Herrera April 3, 2015 at 2:10 pm

Thank you for this testimony. Sometimes I forget the myriad ways that God reaches his often “unlikely warriors.” And at other times I forget how God uses even the schemes of Satan to prepare his fledgling warriors for battle. I do believe God will use this testimony as we share it with our own friends and family to remind each of us that our Gods IS Sovereign, and He is good –all of the time! ☺

Viv Shackleford April 19, 2015 at 5:57 pm

My brother your testimony moved me. I thank God for all the struggles and trials that you went through because it made you the awesome preacher that you are. You can reach all people. Every can feel your pain. Thank God for salvation. Thank God because he uses broken vessels so that he can get the glory.

Sabrina Graham April 23, 2015 at 7:29 am

What a powerful testimony – to God be all the Glory! Bishop Ron Archer, I thank God for seeing your testimony through someone who shared on Facebook! Keep pressing forward toward the high calling! So many chains are going to break off of the lives of the people who are bound and are ready to be freed!

This is what Jesus Christ desires! Sold out, uncompromising truth of His power!

God Bless you!

Evetta Jackson April 25, 2015 at 12:47 pm

I was truly blessed by Bishop Archer`s testimony, it really blessed me!

LKS April 29, 2015 at 10:23 am

Praise Be To GOD!! Praise His Name!!

Daniel Sithole May 9, 2015 at 11:39 am

Wow what a wonderful testimony, our God is indeed in control.

Agnes Ndiritu June 7, 2015 at 8:34 pm

To Jehovah God be all the Glory. Indeed we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us.

Mary June 26, 2015 at 1:34 pm

This is a Great! And wonderful Powerful Testimony. It remind me to be grateful for who I am trough the Grace of our Lord and savior. I am so Blessed by this Testimony. God is AMAIZINGLY GOOD. THANK YOU Pastor God Bless You Keep on doing His Great work.

Myrna Wilson July 23, 2015 at 9:51 am

What a powerful testimony! I hope God continues to bless you. I saw your video on facebook, and pray many may view to see the amazing work God does. To God be all the glory.

Matt August 10, 2015 at 1:58 pm

Wonderful testimony. That’s what I love about Christians they genuinely care. Jesus saves. God bless.

Sunder Singh September 11, 2015 at 11:08 pm

Wow, Great testimony. Thanks be tour our Lord for using His vessels like Mrs. Spears to transform the lives of “Trick” Babies. This is possible only by our Lord and only through His Word. Let us continue to place more Bibles to touch more lives.

Anthony Tonda September 13, 2015 at 4:55 pm

How can I get a copy of Rosnaldo Asher October 2013

Francis Murage September 24, 2015 at 6:55 am

Praise God, this is a great testimony which encourages me to keep on distributing Gods word no matter what! you cannot tell what the word can do to change some broken soul somewhere! Gideons let us redouble our efforts at taking the word to all and sundry.

Pastor Gideon Itiveh December 4, 2015 at 2:26 am

I am deeply touched by this testimony
I saw the clip and decided to google-search
reading this testimony is even more inspiring. I will love to spread the Word through the entire world, right now I have been posted to Cameroon as a pastor.
I will love to be having correspondences with you and even hosting a crusade in Cameroon with you.

TINUKE AFEAJANAKU January 22, 2016 at 3:52 am

God simply is beyond awesome. He uses the foolish things of the world to get His work done. Only He could have saved and done these glorious things. All praise, honour, adoration, dominion, majesty be His now and forever, amen.
Tinuke.

Githae p January 26, 2016 at 10:27 pm

Happy to see you in Kenya my mother land,hoping you will once meet my son who is non verbal at the moment here in Sacramento California. God bless you your story is soo powerful having faith my son will speak soon.

Dr Hevito Shohe February 20, 2016 at 8:39 am

In the life of Ron, God tricked the devi and made us all victoriuos through the blood of Jesus his son.Dear Gideons and Auxiliaries, let us continue to distribute the tricky word of God to trick the devil and give salvation to people who are in the bondage of this tricky Satan.

Peace, Ogunlowo June 25, 2016 at 10:06 am

Great testimony, God is still doing wonders in the life of his children.His namebe great.